I lost my passport and it takes 3 months to get a new one. This is a serious pain because I wanted to go to London next month and then Paris. Instead of waiting for my passport, I'm trying to find another way to do go.
I went to an American Travel Document service.
"But... you can't travel without a passport!" the receptionist exclaimed when I told her my situation.
I explained that I have a Green Card and asked her if there was any way of getting some sort of a document somewhere to get a visa to the UK.
"Where would they put the visa?! No! This isn't possible! You have to talk to US Immigrations." She exclaimed looking at me as if I was a terrorist attempting to get onto US soil
Disheartened, I walked back to my desk. I found a similar service but a Russian one based in Los Angeles and decided to call and explain my situation.
"Yeah - just send us your documentation overnight and we should have an American Travel Document for you by December" the lady said in russian to me over the phone. "Where do your parents live?" she added. "America" I explained "Well, what about any aunts or uncles or anyone like that?" "Yeah I got aunts and uncles" I reply "Cool," she calmly "We'll say there was an emergency with the aunt and you have to go to London for it"
"But will I be able to get a UK visa with a travel document?" I asked
"And why wouldn't you be able to?" she asks, almost offended, "anything is possible - they just stick it right into your travel document. Call us if you have any problems, my friend works in the UK consulate here."
"What about a visa to the Shengen states?" I ask
"Why wouldn't Shengen be possible if the UK is? I know people in that department as well"
"What do you need from me?" I say, finally, relieved.
"All your documents, information about your aunt and uncle and $625"
Who said Russians don't understand capitalism?
Five Links for February
3 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment