Reasons why I'm obsessed with the Komodo Dragon

Most little girls like ponies, or horses, or dolphins. When I was little, my favorite animal was the Komodo Dragon.

There were pictures of it in a book about animals that I had and I became absolutely obsessed with them.

Recently, there was a story about how a bunch of Komodo Dragons ate a fisherman and I remembered my childhood obsession.

A quick search turned up infinite amount of awesomeness. Here are a few reasons why anybody should be completely obsessed with the Komodo Dragon, AAH!:

It is 3 meters long.

They can stand on their hind legs using their tail for leverage

They climb trees

They can lay eggs without any males (a la the virgin mary)

They have 60 frequently-replaced serrated teeth that can measure up to 2.5 centimeters (1 inch) in length.

Their saliva is frequently blood-tinged, because the teeth are almost completely covered by gingival tissue that is naturally lacerated during feeding. This creates an ideal culture for the virulent bacteria that live in its mouth.

They eat COBRAS!

They eat smaller animals (up to the size of a goat) by swallowing them whole, a process they may attempt to speed up by ramming the carcass against a tree to force it down its throat, sometimes ramming so forcefully that the tree is knocked down. To prevent itself from suffocating while swallowing, it breathes using a small tube under the tongue that connects to the lungs.

They live up to 50 years!

They are cannibalistic

They are venomous

"Last month a park ranger survived after a Komodo dragon climbed the ladder into his hut and savaged his hand and foot. "


OMFG

No comments: