When I was younger I was puzzled by adults -- why is it that they think they are different from me, I would think. They are just people, just like I, and for some reason, they invent this concept of adulthood, and make this huge deal out of it, and always want to have conversations around it.
"Your childhood is the happiest time in your life" they would say. Or, "Children speak the truth. Why don't you tell me why the world is so messed up?"
Sometimes, they would tell me they knew better than I (when I challenged their opinions), because they had reached adulthood.
Why were they being so dramatic, I would think. What's so special about growing up. "Experience" they would say. But that still didn't make much sense to me, because experience on its own concept is really empty. As a fact, experience doesn't inherently carry in it some sort of wisdom.
I think I'm getting it now.
Adulthood is realizing that the things that you take for granted as a child, are not taken for granted by everyone else. It's having to fight for things that are obvious to you.
And friends are just people who realize that the obvious is just as obvious as it appears to you.
Five Links for February
3 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment