Favorite song from Russia in 1992.

When I was young I had a favorite song. It was on a record my parents had at home and I would play it on repeat when they were still at work and my nanny hadn't yet made me begin my homework. I liked the urgency and passion in the melody...

Its about a recurring dream that the singer misses his train. He talks about how he goes to the station in the winter, and realizes too late that it's his train is already leaving, he understands that he can't chase it down, or reach it, and it's too late, but still that through the dream he's running after it nevertheless...

through connecting railroads, bridges and overhangs, past oncoming and fellow trains.

Although there are others, he explains, he needs this specific one, the wagon that he's already lived in, that the conversations there are heated, that people are decisive, there's passion and intensity, that he's obsessed with it, will never forget the number on the wagon, covered in smog and snow, he is forever sentenced to it.


I never forgot that song and would remember it after I came to America - because it's the way I felt about leaving my country and what was happening there. I was 11.

I guess that others maybe felt the same way because I recently found it online at http://rutube.ru/tracks/2864176.html?v=3e1f048019c30110cdabab258d1b1bda

The player below gets cut off:



I don't know if the song without understanding the lyrics can get across the emotion, but I always like to think it can.

No comments: