Several Things

1). Are overdraft fees fair? I understand that the bank has to protect itself against giving people money which they don't have, and that essentially they are giving me a short-term loan on any money that I withdraw beyond that which is in my checking account, but is that loan structured in a fair way?

First of all, o.d. fees are charged per transaction - that means if I overdraw once by $159872983, I get charged $33, but if I overdraft 5 transactions of $3, I get charged $200. That system is essentially set up to punish the consumer that makes many $3 purchases, not one that is a high-roller. That's a loan with a 1,166.67% interest rate!

Is it just another way the banks prey on those who are in a less fortunate situation? Something about this whole shebang just seems fundamentally really unfair and unsettling.

When you talk to the managers, banks try to present overdraft fees in the familiar way of a fine - sort of like a parking ticket - for every infraction you make, you pay a fee. But when did we stop realizing that it is NOT a parking ticket - you are not supporting your city, or the municipality, you are supporting the BANK - it is absolute, PURE profit which they make on your mistake.

I get responsibility, and I get that I have a choice in the matter, and I get that risks need to be mitigated, but permitting overdrafts and charging without the consumers consent is unfair! These are simple math errors, or honest mistakes. And it's not like there is a lack of options here - I'm certain that there are ways that banks can link these accounts to savings, or credit cards, which can serve as a back up in case of an emergency.

Okay, I'm done with my rant. Feels a little bit better to get all of that out.

2). Why do I always feel like my life is a Dostoevsky novel?

3).

No comments: